Sunday, August 23, 2009

very very early

Nora woke me at 4:00 this morning and I was unable to go back to sleep. I really tried too. My best trick for this is to imagine walking through the woods across the street from my parent's house. My father owns fifty acers of uninterupted woods, and I remember these woods in incredible detail, the smells, the transitions of trees, the slope and hills of the paths we created, everything. Generally, a mental walk through those woods is enough to capture my thoughts and lull me back to sleep. But not tonight. Tonight I thought of the premise of a short story that I am going to write. (its about a huge beech tree that was actually way up the hill behind my parents house. I am going to relocate it and make it a lot bigger). I even came up with a name for the story: A Convergence. So, instead of being lulled back to sleep, I am now up way too early and will write for the next couple of hours...... not a bad trade off actually.

No comments: