Saturday, September 5, 2009

of canticles and stones

Yesterday was unique. I am constantly finding myself pushed beyond what I feel comfortable doing. Well, maybe not constantly, but a lot. Here is how it went. I went to the church with Jenny and there were a couple other people there. We waited and after about ten minutes My friend Dave's kids showed up along with the other people that were going to be there to witness the renewing of their vows. Dave and Jen weren't there yet. The whole time I was crazy nervous that I was going to forget the words to the song. And, I wanted to hear how my voice was going to bounce around the inside of that church, which was pretty much just stone, dirt and wood. But I was too embarrassed to just sing in front of the few people that I didn't know that were wandering around the church grounds. So I pretty much just walked by myself and tried to sing here and there.

Dave and Jen did show up, and I think Jen was semi surprised. Everyone was dressed pretty casually. I was just wearing what I wore to school. They walked into the church and talked a little bit, but things got down to business pretty quick. The Pastor brought the six of us to attention and held the service. It was short, Dave read from "The Little Prince." They repeated their vows and it was my turn. I sang Harvest Moon low and probably at medium volume. The Pastor thought I had finished after the first verse and jumped in, and I didn't mind it at all. It actually sounded a lot better than I thought it would. I love that I did it, but I am so happy to have it done.

Its so weird that I can sing. I really can too. I am just not the singing type. I don't like to do things like that in public, but I am always roped into doing it. I am so much happier on the drums, or even guitar. Still, I have sung, by myself, in front of almost a thousand people, I have sung semi-regularly in front of a crowd of five hundred. I have been the lead singer in a rock group and just with me on acoustic. It is the weirdest thing in my life.

The best part of yesterday was going back to Dave's house and having a cheese and wine party after everything was done. He really knows wine and cheese!!


No comments: